tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Luehe <Jan.Lu...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-catalina/webapps/docs changelog.xml jasper-howto.xml
Date Mon, 04 Oct 2004 21:54:49 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Jan Luehe wrote:
>> Hi Remy,
>> wrote:
>>> remm        2004/10/04 10:39:46
>>>   Modified:    jasper2/src/share/org/apache/jasper/resources
>>>                jasper2/src/share/org/apache/jasper
>>>                jasper2/src/share/org/apache/jasper/compiler
>>>                webapps/docs changelog.xml jasper-howto.xml
>>>   Log:
>>>   - Allow configuring the interval following a compilation during
>>> which a JSP will not be checked for modifications.
>> how is this different from the 'checkInterval' option?
> The check interval is in seconds, and is for the background reloading
> thread. This means "at most one check every X ms".
> I did consider reusing it, but since the unit was different, I chose not
> to.

I think this new option is going to confuse users.

If we wanted to reduce the number of last-modified checks in
development mode, we should at least try to leverage the existing
option and use the same unit. The default for the new option
(4000ms) seems to imply that "seconds" may be a reasonable unit
for it as well.

Also, I think it is more intuitive if we check for last modification
date on each access in dev mode. I don't think perf improvements are
important in dev mode.

to be set to
   +<code>true</code> for any reason (such as dynamic generation of
JSPs), setting
   +this to a high value will improve performance a lot.</li>

Why won't dynamic generation of JSPs work in nondev mode? Notice that
in JspServleWrapper, we compile if

   options.getDevelopment() || firstTime