tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-catalina/webapps/docs changelog.xml
Date Tue, 05 Oct 2004 00:43:39 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Remy Maucherat" <remm@apache.org>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, October 04, 2004 4:23 PM
Subject: Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-catalina/webapps/docs changelog.xml

>Bill Barker wrote:
>
>>It was on Peter's wish-list to add "managedResource" to the Realms.  This
>>was taken from (I think :) StandardHost, where the code was so broken that
>>it was impossible that anybody was using it, so waiting for
>>"managedResource" to be added to the mbean-descriptor was reasonable.
>>

>I tested with removing the relevant blocks in the containers: it's not
>really used.

It would be only used by some custom JMX-embedding (and, like I said, it
never worked :).  The JMX-embedding method that does work is to invoke
"init" on the Realm, which will then add itself to whichever Container it
was registered for.

>>Except that "managedResource" is an internal-implementation artifact of
c-m.
>>There really isn't any point in getting rid of it before Remy's project to
>>make c-m an optional component.
>>

>Really, I'm supposed to do that ? ;)

It's your todo list ;).

>I don't think "managedResource" needs anything special: it's just a
>standard attribute (and is a hack) that is declared in the
>mbean-descriptors. Its name makes it sound like it's somehow magically
>provided by the model MBean implementation, but it's not (it would be
>very insecure to do so). I would be happier if we tried removing the
>"managedResource", actually.

It will make Peter unhappy, but it wouldn't be hard.  Probably the hardest
one to do would be Connector (since you can't add a Connector to an Engine
:).  The Realm stuff that started this could probably just invoke init on
the Realm instead.