tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/core ApplicationHttpResponse.java
Date Fri, 15 Oct 2004 01:05:50 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: <luehe@apache.org>
To: <jakarta-tomcat-catalina-cvs@apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2004 5:00 PM
Subject: cvs commit:
jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/core
ApplicationHttpResponse.java

> luehe       2004/10/14 17:00:35
>
>   Modified:    catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/core
>                         ApplicationHttpResponse.java
>   Log:
>   Expose any errors on an included resource.
>
>   For example, a JSP with this include action:
>     <jsp:include page="nonexistent">
>   or
>     <jsp:include page="nonexistent.jsp">
>   where nonexistent[.jsp] does not exist, currently returns silently,
hiding the
>   fact that the resource to be included does not exist.
>
>   This patch returns a 404 with the name of the nonexistent resource.
>
>   Yes, SRV.8.3 ("The Include Method") mentions that
>
>     "it [the target servlet] cannot set headers or call any method that
>     affects the headers of the response. Any attempt to do so must be
>     ignored."
>
>   but i don't think it is referring to the error case.

Actually, it has always been my impression that this *is* referring to the
error case.  I think that somebody should get a clarification before making
a change this drastic.  (By the way, this doesn't do anything since the
Response is still too smart to allow an included resource to call
sendError.)

In any case, it doesn't seem to be that useful, since in the case of
<jsp:include page="nonexistent.jsp" flush="true" > it is way too late to do
a meaningful sendError.