tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-catalina/webapps/admin/valve accessLogValve.jsp remoteAddrValve.jsp remoteHostValve.jsp requestDumperValve.jsp singleSignOnValve.jsp valves.jsp
Date Mon, 18 Oct 2004 18:18:31 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Remy Maucherat" <remm@apache.org>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, October 17, 2004 11:54 PM
Subject: Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-catalina/webapps/admin/valve
accessLogValve.jsp remoteAddrValve.jsp remoteHostValve.jsp
requestDumperValve.jsp singleSignOnValve.jsp valves.jsp

>billbarker@apache.org wrote:
>
>>billbarker    2004/10/17 23:37:57
>>

>>  Log:
>>  Remove DefaultContext.
>>

>Providing management for the new default context won't be hard: we would
>need to instantiate it as a normal StdContext, and register it in JMX
>with a special name. Maybe in the createMBeans stuff that is used by the
>admin webapp. This can be done for both the per-host default context,
>and for the global one.

Using a normal StdContext is obviously easiest from a programming
standpoint.  But my guess is that it would be special enough to cause
headaches (e.g. You can have a DC under a Server, but a regular Context
can't go there).

I think that all that is really needed is the MBean to manage the
"DefaultContext" file.  It can even be pretty dumb, since there currently
isn't a good mechanism to attempt to propogate JMX-managed changes to the
affected Contexts (so, just don't even try :).  The only real question would
be how it integrates with Peter's new 'write server.xml' logic.