tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] Tomcat 5.5.2 Stability
Date Mon, 27 Sep 2004 16:40:50 GMT

Hi,

>My understanding was that "target=JDK1.4" meant the 1.4 will be the
>default, out-of-box setup ( except maybe the inclusiong of mx4j ).

As it is right now, the default setup is for J2SE 5.0.  Users must
download the compat package to run on JDK 1.4.  All the compat package
has is Xerces impl, the XML APIs, and the JMX jar.

My understanding of "target=JDK1.4" is that it can run on JDK 1.4
without any recompilation.  That's the case now.

>So far I wasn't able to even compile with 5.0 ( without source=1.4 ) -
>is this working now ?

Yeah.

>In any case - it is IMO a bad idea to make 5.0 release a precondition
>for tomcat5.5. It would be good to have it released, but as long as
>target=1.4 we should be fine.

OK.  I tend to agree, but it probably merits a bit more discussion.

Yoav