tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: classloader
Date Mon, 27 Sep 2004 09:27:44 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:

> I had a small vacation, and managed to make some of the changes in the
> classloader/module area. I'm not completely done - but I want to
> eventually start checking in some of the code ( if nobody objects ).
>
> To avoid breaking anything, I started a new package (
> o.a.tomcat.util.loader ), and started with the existing classes, with
> small refactorings.
>
> - WebappClassLoader
> - Bootstrap
> - CatalinaProperties
> plus some extra classes to support jboss ( or m-let) style loading.
>
> I tried to remove all dependencies outside JDK1.4 - the package is
> very small, and I think it's ok to not use commons-logging or jmx in
> this area. Apache.naming and jmx functionality is added via hooks -
> after the server loader ( now "repository" ) is started.
>
> I think this will improve a bit the code structure - currently we have
> a bit of a mess in how we select some classes in the bin/ jars.
>
> I'm not planning any change in the existing code - except adding few
> classes and code to allow the new loader to be used ( as an option )
> instead of the old one.
>
> My goal ( which is not yet completely done ) is to support "modules" for
> connectors/interceptors/etc - with reloading and all the cool stuff,
> and make this integrable with existing systems ( jboss, other jmx/mlet
> based  applications, eclipse ). Instead of having the entire tomcat as
> one chunk of code ( plus all the depenencies ) integrated in one
> plugin, it should be possible to add a smaller subset and then have
> connectors/auth/etc as separate plugins.
>
> Please let me know if this is ok with you - I'll have another long
> trip in mid Oct. and I hope to get this done, but if there are
> problems with what I'm trying to do ( or conflicts with other plans ),
> I would appreciate feedback before I waste the time :-)

In the same spirit, for better application server integration, I was
thinking about abstracting the access to JMX features to make it
pluggable. This deals with:
- the model MBean implementation, assuming the alternate implementation
has the same way of delegating MBeanRegistration to the resource, and is
supplied appropriate descriptors for the bean types
- access to the MBean server (which is hardcoded to use the default
server at the moment)
For example, in JBoss, this would (I hope ;) ) allow using XMBeans as
the model MBeans implementation, replacing commons-modeler.

Rémy