tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [5.5] Packaging
Date Wed, 25 Aug 2004 19:53:49 GMT
Shapira, Yoav wrote:

> It depends how you define support, right?  Does "support" mean by
> default everything is configured for JDK 1.3, and Tomcat is built with
> target="1.3" ?  Or does it means there's an easy way to set this target
> parameter (e.g. a build.properties setting) and build your own Tomcat
> for 1.3?

What is the cost of having "target=1.3" by default ? It means the class
files and the release will work with jdk1.3 - and it will also run on
1.4 or 1.5.

What is the benefit of having target=1.4 and forcing people who use 1.3
to recompile the entire tomcat ?

> Stability versus featurism is much more of a judgment call IMHO.  Does
> stability mean we stick with an old platform (JDK 1.3) and jump through
> hoops (e.g. runtime detection) to use newer (JDK 1.4, JDK 1.5) features?
> If so, then at what point does the cost (e.g. performance) become higher
> than the benefit (ease of use for old platform users)?  It's a
> subjective call I think.

That's a question for Sun :-), who is forcing people to jump through the
hoops by bundling all features with the VM.

Tomcat core already works with 1.3 - and you can have optional
connectors/valves/etc that only work with 1.5 or 1.6 - with just a
simple conditional compilation.

I understand why MSFT is forcing people to upgrade windows - they make a
lot of money from that, and don't care how much the users will suffer to
upgrade. But we don't gain that much by forcing people to upgrade the VM
to use the latest version of tomcat. I wish Sun would sell and make
money on the VM - so at least someone would gets some benefit from this
forced upgrade cycle :-)

> While I don't doubt the legitimacy of your pro-1.3 arguments, you just
> don't see users on the mailing list with anything other than JDK 1.4.
> We already get more JDK 1.5 questions than JDK 1.3 it seems, even though
> 1.5 is still in beta.

IMO that's because 1.3 is used in production for quite a while - so most
problems are solved.

If you release the next version with 1.4 target - you may get more 1.3
questions :-)

Upgrading the VM is almost the same with upgrading the OS - there are
still plenty of packages for RedHat7.3 or NT, and most of the questions
are from people trying the latest OS and noticing things are breaking.

> So I don't know, I'm not 100% convinced we should require JDK 1.5, and
> I'm not 100% convinced we should drop 1.3, I'm just in the middle ;)
> I'm comfortable with requiring 1.4 though, as it's been more than 2
> years since JDK 1.4 was released.

I'm ok with using 1.5 features, or having a default distribution for 1.5
- as long as the code is compiled with target=1.3 ( no major harm ) and
it is possible to run the basic tomcat with 1.3 ( with some additional
packages - parser, mx4j, etc ).

Costin