tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [5.5] Packaging
Date Tue, 24 Aug 2004 20:09:18 GMT

> What does that leave us with in terms of distros?  Let me try:
>
> [Source distros, same as today]
> - jakarta-tomcat-5.5.0-src.zip
> - jakarta-tomcat-5.5.0-src.tar.gz
>
> [Binary distros]
> - jakarta-tomcat-5.5.0.zip - for JRE 5.0, no Admin
> - jakarta-tomcat-5.5.0.tar.gz -  for JRE 5.0, no Admin
> - jakarta-tomcat-5.5.0.exe - for Windows, JRE 5.0, no Admin
> - jakarta-tomcat-5.5.0-jre14.zip - for JRE 1.4, no Admin
> - jakarta-tomcat-5.5.0-jre14.tar.gz - for JRE 1.4, no Admin
> - jakarta-tomcat-5.5.0-jre14.exe - for Windows JRE 1.4, no Admin
> + another one for each of the above with Admin?

Why ? We can distribute admin.war as a separate binary, who needs it can
install it separately.

What is the difference between JRE1.4 and JRE5.0 distribution ? I'm
building with 1.4 and 1.5 and it works fine with 1.5, 1.5 and 1.3, do we
need separate builds ?

BTW - I don't know how hard it would be to have admin.war also
distributed as a .exe with installer ( just need to extract the war
in the tomcat dir ).

> Maybe we should have admin separately, i.e.
> jakarta-tomcat-5.5.0-admin.war (complete with META-INF/context.xml),
> that users can just drop into their webapps directory?  I'd rather have
> that than 6 more binary distributions.

+1

> What about dropping .tar.gz distros?  I realize its files are smaller
> than zip, but every platform has zip support and I doubt many of our
> users (who are mostly developers for companies or open-source
> afficionadoes) are on dialup connections.  Alternatively (this is what
> JonAS has done for example) we could just have .tgz files which the
> Windows Winzip can handle.  This saves the release manager work and
> reduces user confusion slightly, as they are faced with less download
> choices.  I see the latter (user confusion) increasing when we have
> JRE1.4 and JRE5.0 distros.

Do we do any line ending processing for tgz and zip ? The expectation is
that .tgz distributions use unix LF, and zip files use CRFL.

If tgz and zip are identical ( and I assume it's CRLF since the build is
on windows ) - then it's a good idea to have only zip ( tgz with CRLF is
confusing )

Costin