tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: JDT and Jasper
Date Fri, 13 Aug 2004 19:51:31 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> I've changed my mind a lot on this particular subject, but I'm still
>> investigating.
>> I'm looking at JDT right now, for use in Jasper, to replace Ant +
>> javac task as the default Java compiler. It might be mature enough,
>> and would run with a JRE. It is also relatively small (the whole
>> compiler is less about 1.5M after trimming stuff from the jdtcore JAR,
>> to compare with the Ant JAR which doesn't do much by itself and is
>> slightly less than 1M).
>>
>> The other advantages:
>> - loads "source dependencies" from the classloader
>> - good error reporting API (no need for hackish text output capture
>> anymore)
>>
>> Note: The license seems ok (Cocoon uses it already).
>

> To restate maybe a little more clearly, we would go back to having more
> than one compiler, with the two supported options being:
> - Ant with javac task (which AFAIK supports virtually all the compilers)
> - (and shipped by default) JDT

That sounds better :-).

Since JDT is from eclipse, we can also use the idea of plugin here - and
have the javac task and other compilers as separate plugins the user can
download and install.

I'm making some progress with the class loader - modules placed in
server/webapps/  can now be loaded  ( with Class.forName or equiv ) from
the server class loader, and can access classes from each other.
Reloading of server classes also seems to work now, after serveral
problems ( at least for the smtp connector I'm playing with ).

My current approach is to use server/webapps as the equivalent of
eclipse plugins - with a ContainerServlet that does all initialization,
etc. It just reuses all the webapp infrastrucutre ( manager can control
modules, etc ).

That means an ant/javac plugin could be packaged as a ( priviledged )
war and deployed in tomcat.

Costin