tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 5.0.28 release
Date Fri, 13 Aug 2004 14:45:40 GMT
Petr Jiricka wrote:
> Costin Manolache wrote:
>
>> Shapira, Yoav wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I have a couple of only-slightly-related comments, but related
>>> nonetheless so I'll put them here.
>>>
>>> Re: endorsed directories.  Do we still want to support JDK 1.3 in Tomcat
>>> 5.1?  Since we're gearing up for JDK 1.5, we might want to make 1.4 the
>>> minimum.  I'm +0.5 on this.
>>

>> First, endorsed directories are _not_ for 1.3, but for 1.4 ( to
>> override the build-in parser and the check they do on load ).
>> 1.3 works fine with just having the parser in classpath, or in
>> /jre/lib/ext, and it's quite simple to add code to the loader to add
>> the parser packages only if 1.3 is detected.
>>
>> I'm using JDK1.3 most of the time, and I think a lot of other people
>> and companies are still using it. I don't mind having the default
>> distribution built for 1.4+ ( no xerces ), with instructions on how to
>> get the additional jars for 1.3. But I think it would be very bad to
>> not be able to run in 1.3 - and I don't see any good reason to justify
>> forcing the users to upgrade.
>>

> Hi Tomcat developers,
>
> I must say I don't fully understand the above. So what exactly will
> happen if the common/endorsed directory is removed? What will stop
> working and on which platform(s)? Are there any specific pointers to bug
> ids or discussions, that would explain why the endorsed directory was
> added in the first place? I know configuring the XML parser and JAXP was
> always pain, but I don't know what specifically was the problem. Any
> insights you can bring into this will be appreciated.

If you remove common/endorsed:
- jdk1.3 - it'll work if you add your own parser in common/lib or
jre/lib/ext or classpath

- jdk1.4 - because the parser in jdk1.4 is an old xerces, xml schema
validation might fail, everything else should work.

- jdk1.5 - AFAIK everything should work.

The reason endorsed was added is JDK1.4, where we had to add newer
org.apache.xerces and javax.xml ( replacing what's in rt.jar ).

Costin