tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 5.0.28 release
Date Tue, 10 Aug 2004 15:46:40 GMT
Shapira, Yoav wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a couple of only-slightly-related comments, but related
> nonetheless so I'll put them here.
>
> Re: endorsed directories.  Do we still want to support JDK 1.3 in Tomcat
> 5.1?  Since we're gearing up for JDK 1.5, we might want to make 1.4 the
> minimum.  I'm +0.5 on this.

First, endorsed directories are _not_ for 1.3, but for 1.4 ( to override
the build-in parser and the check they do on load ).
1.3 works fine with just having the parser in classpath, or in
/jre/lib/ext, and it's quite simple to add code to the loader to add the
parser packages only if 1.3 is detected.

I'm using JDK1.3 most of the time, and I think a lot of other people and
companies are still using it. I don't mind having the default
distribution built for 1.4+ ( no xerces ), with instructions on how to
get the additional jars for 1.3. But I think it would be very bad to not
be able to run in 1.3 - and I don't see any good reason to justify
forcing the users to upgrade.

>>them. I prefer the latter approach, also because of the multi-user use
>>case: if a single Tomcat installation (CATALINA_HOME) is used by
>>multiple users (each having their own CATALINA_BASE), then the former
>>approach does not work if each user has a different version of the JDK.
>

> How about stopping support for that scenario?  I mean drop the
> CATALINA_BASE versus CATALINA_HOME feature, (or set them to always equal
> each other, if we want to leave them in the code base), and don't allow
> users to share installations except by the user home directory valve.
> The disk space benefits aren't worth it.  The central administration
> benefits might be, but I wonder how many people use this.  Maybe an
> informal survey on the user list is worth doing?

How about the other way around - stop support for the combined tomcat,
and default to multi-user ( or multi-config ).

I would be very happy to see the server layout change to support
multiple configurations.

Something like:

/bin
/lib - with manifest/properties file used to select what goes to common,
server, shared :-)

/servers
/servers/all
/servers/minimal
With conf/ and webapps/ under each server.

Costin