tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: autostart for /admin - was Re: StandardClassLoader ?
Date Tue, 10 Aug 2004 15:20:26 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:

>> One simple solution is to add
>>
>> <% // Force the initialization of "action" servlet
>>    RequestDispatcher
>> actionS=getServletContext().getNamedDispatcher("action").include(request,response);

>> %>
>>
>> in login.jsp
>

> This seems good enough already.

Ok, I'll check it in then after I figure out why the filter didn't work,

>> A better solution is to add a small filter that will make sure struts
>> is initialized. However that doesn't seem to work with login.jsp - the
>> filter is not called ( I tried explicit match, by name, etc ).
>

> login.jsp is a forward. Did you try mapping the filter on a forward ?

>> BTW, does the spec says that the form login page is excluded from
>> filters ??
>

> That's undefined, as it's some kind of internal dispatching of the
> container. It seemed reasonable trying to do it with a RD forward.

Well, if I have a filter on /* and / ( and I added for *.jsp, *.do and
anything I could think of ) - I tought it'll be invoked for all requests
in that context. Even if it is forwarded.

> I don't really see what it changes for production servers: if something
> as heavy as the admin webapp starts up, it's going to kill the server
> performance. I agree delaying webapp startup would give a better
> impression of performance, but it would be actually bad for a number of
> configurations.

True. The lazy loading should be paired with automatic unloading/sleep
of apps  not used recently - again, based on config. In most servers I
know, a small number of webapps are used most of the time, and the most
webapps are almost never used, or just for very short time. Well -
that's just an idea, I don't have an immediate itch for this one. I am
impressed with Eclipse plugin architecture - and the way they manage the
memory.

Costin