tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 5.0.28 release
Date Tue, 10 Aug 2004 06:03:38 GMT
I'm sorry, but can't remember - why do we still need the endorsed ?

I tought they were a temporary solution for JDK1.4 and some validation
problems - tomcat should work fine with any SAX/DOM parser, including
the one in JDK1.4.

The only problem is JDK1.3 - and I agree that it would be better to just
provide a patch for 1.3 ( or ask the user to install a parser in jre/ext
or classpath, to get the same behavior as in 1.4 ). Or even better -
in Bootstrap check if we're in 1.3 and add the parser to the classpath,
otherwise use whatever is in jdk ( and maybe turn validation of if the
version of jdk and parser is not the right one ).

In any case - modularizing the distribution would be really good. Having
a core JDK1.5 distro, and additional packages to add JDK1.4 and JDK1.3
support is good. It would also be good to distribute more components as
optional plug-ins.

Again - I missed a lot of discussions, probably most of this has been
discussed, I'll try more searches on the archives :-)

Costin