tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: StandardClassLoader ?
Date Fri, 06 Aug 2004 14:40:47 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:

>  From my profile, the bottleneck for the startup time is XML parsing and
> accessing entries in JARs (we can't do anything about that), with a

Did you try a pull parser ? kxml2 is really fast and only 42K :-)

The other approach - which I think may have a lot of benefits - is to
use some caches. For XML - you would need to make few of the classes
serializable, or create few wrappers that are serializable.  And whenver
a change is detected - reparse. Not trivial code, but you can get a lot
in cutting server.xml and web.xml parsing.

The jar index is also quite usefull IMO (  is it implemented in
WebappClassLoader ? I can't find any code ).

Costin