tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: StandardClassLoader ?
Date Thu, 05 Aug 2004 16:05:49 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> Costin Manolache wrote:
>
>> Can you experiment with WebappClassLoader instead :-) ? SCL is only used
>> in standalone mode and only for loading internal classes. And removing
>> it will improve class loading time by itself - one less layer of if()
>> and indirections.
>>
>> ( I'm experimenting with class loading too, and it's easier to do it
>> in one loader )
>>
>> What I'm trying to do is allow some modules ( connectors, auth, etc )
>> to be deployed and loaded/unloaded/upgraded at runtime.
>

> That's not at all what I've planned (something really simple, not at all
> adding features or new capabilities). UCL works indeed better than SCL,
> so I removed it.

Technically it's not a "new" feature, it is a very old one ( it was
implemented in 3.3 :-).

Right now if you want to dynamically add or update a connector - you
need to restart tomcat. Even if it is embedded in jboss ( but at least
you don't have to take down the entire server, only the tomcat module ).
While UCL has great features, we can't take advantage of any of them,
because our class loading is too rigid.

That's even worse in webapps - where all you can do is place some jars
in shared/ or have no common libs at all. No easy way to use features
from the embedding container.

> I'm moving to the next item in my list (I think package renaming and
> repackaging of the dependencies: commons-dbcp and Ant).

If you don't mind, I'll keep playing with the WebClassLoader, if adding
such a feature is unacceptable then at least I would like to add some
hooks to allow use of a different loader implementation.

Costin