tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: StandardClassLoader ?
Date Thu, 05 Aug 2004 14:54:30 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> Costin Manolache wrote:
>
>> Is there any reason we still need StandardClassLoader ? It seems it is
>> only used once, in ClassLoaderFactory, and it is used exactly like a
>> regular URLClassLoader - the only thing that needs to be moved is the
>> convert() method. The code itself is just debug and duplication of
>> URLClassLoader - the reverse loading is not used and it's not even
>> really implemented in all parts of the code.
>

> I'll keep it for now, since I'll try experiments to try to have faster
> classloading. If my stuff isn't efficient, then I'll remove it.

Can you experiment with WebappClassLoader instead :-) ? SCL is only used
in standalone mode and only for loading internal classes. And removing
it will improve class loading time by itself - one less layer of if()
and indirections.

( I'm experimenting with class loading too, and it's easier to do it in
one loader )

What I'm trying to do is allow some modules ( connectors, auth, etc ) to
be deployed and loaded/unloaded/upgraded at runtime.

Costin