tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From xudong <xud...@aristoga.com>
Subject Re: how to record html pages under Tomcat
Date Tue, 24 Aug 2004 01:42:57 GMT
Michael Dang wrote:

>I don't know specifically what you need to record on the server side that is hard to do
on the client side.  It depends on what you trying to achieve.

>If you need to record in url level, then tools like OpenSTA is sufficient.  If you need
to record class loading or method calling level, then you probably need a Java profiler.
If you need to intercept Servlet calls, you could plugin a Servlet filter.  And then it depends
on what you need to do with the information.

tools to do this.  For example, a free open source tool -- OpenSTA from http://www.opensta.org
>You can record all traffic to the server, modify your script to do certain session, and
play back.

>--Michael

hi, Michael

Thanks a lot.

I am implementing such a system: if a user got an error or an unexpected
result from his browser, he could click a *error report* hyperlink to
report the error or bug. Then on server side, I could store some history
data about this user. It is very important for us to anaylize the reason
of the error. Of course, I need to record other related information
about this user.

So I hope
1. I could deploy the helper system on server side.
2. I could record HTML pages according to the session ID. (User name is
defined on other application domain, so it is not a good choice.)

I thought I should record these pages inside servlet container.
Obviously, such design is servlet-container-dependent. So I decide to
instrument some log codes into each servlet, which holdes all
information such as HttpRequest/HttpResponse/Session.

Am I right?

Your suggestion is great helpful. :=)

Best wishes,
xudong