tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From David Rees <dr...@greenhydrant.com>
Subject Re: Where's 4.1.31?
Date Sat, 21 Aug 2004 06:29:42 GMT
Jeanfrancois Arcand wrote, On 8/20/2004 9:45 AM:

> Althrough I agree with peoples that can't move to Tomcat 5, Tomcat 5 has
> been available for more that 1 year. That will be good for Tomcat if
> people migrate from 4.1.x to 5 and find bugs (that way they will not be
> carried into 5.5/6).

Although I would love to upgrade all of my sites to Tomcat 5,
unfortunately there is one particular showstopper for me in the behavior
difference between Tomcat 4 and 5.  Specifically, it is the fact that
TC5 no longer pauses request processing during a context reload while
TC4 does.

While this behavior could be worked around with load-balanced Tomcats,
until mod_jk (or the Apache proxy module improvements) support dynamic
reconfiguration, having to make a class change during operations can be
disruptive.  Currently, if you wish to disable a Tomcat using mod_jk,
you have to at least have Apache gracefully restart, which is not always
very graceful.

IMO, if there are enough commiters willing to make/support another 4.1
release, let them!

-Dave