tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jeanfrancois Arcand <jfarc...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Where's 4.1.31?
Date Fri, 20 Aug 2004 16:45:35 GMT

Shapira, Yoav wrote:

>Hi,
>I agree with Jess, this is the wrong direction in principle.  We're
>encouraging users to stick with 4.1.x if we do this release.
>
>Normally we have just an informal "if everyone is OK with this, I'd like
>to push out release X on this day" and then a vote on labeling it as
>stable.  The latter being the only official vote.  But in this case, I'd
>want to have a more general vote of should we have 4.1.x maintenance
>releases, given the reasons stated earlier in this thread.
>
>If we have such a vote, and if it passes,

You have my -1 for a release.

Althrough I agree with peoples that can't move to Tomcat 5, Tomcat 5 has
been available for more that 1 year. That will be good for Tomcat if
people migrate from 4.1.x to 5 and find bugs (that way they will not be
carried into 5.5/6).

>and if you decide to go ahead
>with this release, then you will probably assume responsibility for bugs
>filed against 4.1.x.  This is of course unofficial, but nonetheless this
>type of arrangement exists with Tomcat 3.3.x.

3.3.x has been maintained because of the "fork" between 3.3 and 4.x.
There is no longer such "tension" now....

> None of us care much for
>the 4.1.x issues now, except that Mark moved the relevant
>Connector-related issues from 4.1.x to 5.0.x so that they don't get
>dropped.  This type of move, which I didn't like originally, should
>definitely be stopped if 4.1.x is still in active development as
>indicated by regular releases.

Your time is more important on 5.x IMO :-)

--Jeanfrancois