tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jeanfrancois Arcand <>
Subject Re: common/endorsed & classLoader
Date Fri, 20 Aug 2004 13:46:54 GMT

Jess Holle wrote:

> Costin Manolache wrote:
>> To make things a bit more interesting, I believe there are some
>> checks in JDK1.4 to prevent you to override rt.jar classes. That's
>> what "endorsed" really does, allow you to bypass those checks.
>> I don't think we managed to get xerces and jaxp to load from a
>> classloader even with delegation disabled.
> Xerces would certainly load.
> Do you really need Xerces' JAXP rather than that in 1.4?

Yes, because in 1.4, Crimson is used and doesn't support XML schema.
That's the only good reason we have to use Xerces when validating a
web.xml. Note thatn in 1.5, Xerces packages have been renamed to*, which will resolve a lot of problem (ex:
you should be able to bundle any xerces version in your war). I didn't
test it yet....

-- Jeanfrancois