tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Thrys√łe <>
Subject Incorrect classloading
Date Tue, 17 Aug 2004 13:58:54 GMT

I recently tried to use the newest version of jgroups within a webapp
running in tomcat. JGroups comes with a commons-logging.jar for it's own

I discovered that Jgroups couldn't use commons logging, because commons
logging coulnd't load a log4j class, even though log4j.jar was in

I solved the problem by placing log4j.jar along with the rest of
tomcat's jar files (e.g. tomcat's commons-logging.jar).

This makes me wonder if there is a problem with using commons logging in
a webapp in general? It seems tomcat isn't loading commons-logging from
the webapp as expected, but rather uses the one loaded in tomcat
already. Is that correct, and if so, why shouldn't a webapp be allowed
to use it's own commons-logging?

Could this be a variant of ?

I'm using Tomcat 4.1.30.

To unsubscribe, e-mail: