tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: [proxy] New implementation ready for testing
Date Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:23:04 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Since it will take some time to assess that the changes and new features
> are stable, v.s. dev quality, I believe it's sorta pointless to put extra energy
> into the 2.0 backport.  We won't compromise mod_proxy again in 2.0 after
> its very slow crawl to some measure of stability.  So count me a pretty
> strong -1 for backporting any major refactoring of proxy for 2.0.
>
> You know what pain it took for proxy to be accepted as useful (v.s. 1.3).
>
> This is a pretty significant leap, so it really doesn't make that much sense
> to compromise things.

I see your point... In that case I'm now keen to see httpd v2.2 go out
the door. :)

One of the side effects of this work is that the connection pool and
load balancing code is available to proxy_http as well as proxy_ajp,
which means a performance boost to the HTTP proxy.

The main reason I was keen to see an RPM spec file in the official
release was to make it easy for people to use our most recent versions
out in the real world, instead of vendor supplied more conservative
releases (especially releases minus the experimental modules). It would
be cool to see packaging for Debian, or Solaris, etc added as well. This
would make it easy for people to deploy our latest releases without
being forced to wait for the more conservative vendors to catch up, and
in turn get httpd 2.2 onto more servers.

Regards,
Graham