tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: Fwd: md5 sums for jakarta downloads
Date Tue, 10 Aug 2004 16:25:04 GMT
Yes, well, I actually do not think much thought has gone into this
subject at Apache, until know I think perople have thought the .md5 file
format was a standard or something.

I've been researching md5 applications in terms of attempting to make a
recommendation to the repository group on the appropriate format to use
in the ASF Repository project.

To date my research shows that both applications support the GNU
"checksum filename.ext" format when performing a md5sum  (GNU) or cksum
(BSD) check against the file/md5 pair. And that the GNU version of
md5sum cannot handle the BSD's default md5 format.

Since BSD cksum can read the GNU format, BSD md5 can produce the GNU
format, and installations of the GNU toolkit and that md5 file format
are much more prevalent than BSD and its format, then my recommendation
is that would be the appropriate format to use for the time being.

Its quite clear that the majority of the computers on the internet are
not BSD systems, no matter how great the OS is ;-). IMHO, the decision
for the appropriate md5 file format should be based on what applications
require in the real world, not on which servers Apache actually uses in
production.

-Mark Diggory

Mark R. Diggory
Software Developer