tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: autostart for /admin - was Re: StandardClassLoader ?
Date Tue, 10 Aug 2004 15:31:03 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:

> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>
>>> BTW, does the spec says that the form login page is excluded from
>>> filters ??
>>
>> That's undefined, as it's some kind of internal dispatching of the
>> container. It seemed reasonable trying to do it with a RD forward.
>
> Well, if I have a filter on /* and / ( and I added for *.jsp, *.do and
> anything I could think of ) - I tought it'll be invoked for all
> requests in that context. Even if it is forwarded.

Well, no. different invocation is a separate mapping (INCLUDE, FORWARD,
etc; and no, there's no ALL mapping ;) ).

>> I don't really see what it changes for production servers: if
>> something as heavy as the admin webapp starts up, it's going to kill
>> the server performance. I agree delaying webapp startup would give a
>> better impression of performance, but it would be actually bad for a
>> number of configurations.
>
> True. The lazy loading should be paired with automatic unloading/sleep
> of apps  not used recently - again, based on config. In most servers I
> know, a small number of webapps are used most of the time, and the
> most webapps are almost never used, or just for very short time. Well
> - that's just an idea, I don't have an immediate itch for this one. I
> am impressed with Eclipse plugin architecture - and the way they
> manage the memory.

Ah ok.
Well, we could try to be progressivly adding these new features to the
new branch, since I assume it would stay as
stable-but-with-significant-feature-additions for some time.

Rémy