tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: Fwd: md5 sums for jakarta downloads
Date Tue, 10 Aug 2004 13:52:01 GMT
For example here are the outputs of the various signing tools we use at
this time:

BSD md5:

 > md5 commons-collections-3.1.jar
MD5 (commons-collections-3.1.jar) = d1dcb0fbee884bb855bb327b8190af36

while the GNU md5 script generates the following:

[mdiggory@tribal jars]$ md5sum commons-collections-3.1.jar
d1dcb0fbee884bb855bb327b8190af36  commons-collections-3.1.jar

And maven just generates and uses:
d1dcb0fbee884bb855bb327b8190af36

Yes, the nice thing about BSD md5 is that the -r can be used to make it
look like the GNU md5sum output, it would probably be good if we started
to use this as it will be more prevalent and possibly is the closest one
can get to a standard:

Mark R. Diggory wrote:

> This is the md5 output generated by BSD md5 and not necessarily a
> "standard", GNU md5sum generates a different format that is not
> "standard" as well. For maven, just the checksum portion of the content
> is stored in the file.
>
> It would be nice if there was a standard in this area, but I have yet to
> see one in the internet community. We have the same problem with
> generating md5 checksums for the maven repository at the moment.
>
> -Mark
>
> Shapira, Yoav wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> The format I use for MD5 sums is the standard one.  Every other project
>> I know uses this format, so I think if anything this user needs to
>> adjust his preferences ;)  However, if there's a standard or spec
>> somewhere that mandates we use md5 -r (reverse output format), then
>> sure, someone point me to it and I'll follow that spec when signing
>> releases.
>>
>> Yoav Shapira
>> Millennium Research Informatics

Mark Diggory