tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Luehe <Jan.Lu...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/connector Request.java
Date Mon, 09 Aug 2004 22:33:58 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Jan Luehe wrote:
>
>> Agreed.
>>
>> I stumbled across mem usage as I was running a stress test
>> under OptimizeIt (and eventually getting OutOfMemory errors from
>> Servlets), and noticed a large number of char[] instances had been
>> allocated due to each Request creating its own SimpleDateFormat[].
>

> You get an OOM because of it ? I think not, though.

No, definitely not because of this, but i'm in the process of
eliminating any redundant allocations.

I thought SimpleDateFormat with a constant pattern was a candidate, but
as Bill and you pointed out (and the javadocs now mention), it is not
thread-safe.

> You need to speak hard numbers here (because syncing will have its own
> cost, esp on a large server that your company makes so much cash on ;)
> ):

Agreed. :)

> how many bytes are allocated by each formatter ?

I'll get back to you on this. For the time being, I'll revert my
previous change.

Jan