tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Pane <bri...@apache.org>
Subject Re: StandardClassLoader ?
Date Sun, 08 Aug 2004 22:40:58 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> I agree. I'm kinda running out of optimization ideas, though (I don't
> know if you profiled the regular request processing lately, but
> there's really nothing left). There doesn't seem to be too much which
> is doable with the startup overall.

I've found that the parsing of the default server.xml during Tomcat
5.0.27 startup takes 1.5 seconds on my test system.  In comparison,
the SAX-based element-counter sample program shipped with Xerces-J
takes less than 100 ms to parse the same file on the same hardware.
Based on this, my hypothesis is that the SAX callback handlers in
org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester may account for a lot of
the parsing time.  Does that match what you've found in your profiling?
(I only have coarse-grained profiling data from adding
System#currentTimeMillis calls to the Tomcat code.  I haven't yet
figured out how to use "-Xrunhprof" without slowing Tomcat to a crawl.)

Brian