tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: StandardClassLoader ?
Date Thu, 05 Aug 2004 16:01:59 GMT
Filip Hanik - Dev wrote:

>During session replication I optimized my code to decide what order class loader to use
based on the class name.

>For example, if you load a class that starts with org.apache.catalina. I attempt to load
it with the SCL first, it gave the app a
>huge performance boost.
>
>I know I know, this breaks the rule of thumb with webapps, but there are smart shortcuts
you can make, like make a list of all the
>classes in common/lib and server/lib and never load those through WebCL unless specified
by the user. Most user would love the
>performance gain of this, and the ability to turn it on/off

This is extremely easy to test: you need to add stuff to the package
array in WCL, so that it will delegate for these packages. This doesn't
improve performance in any noticeable way (as I expected), so I don't
see where you found any huge performance boost. While it does sound
great, I think your test seemed either bad or very specific.

 From my profile, the bottleneck for the startup time is XML parsing and
accessing entries in JARs (we can't do anything about that), with a
little for classloading as well (but it's not very big, and my
optimization plans were to experiment loading everything at once on
stratup, to be able to remove all syncing in the CL - I don't even know
if that would have been efficient, and since it does conflict with the
more interesting stuff from Costin, I'm giving up on that one for now).

Rémy