tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/startup HostConfig.java mbeans-descriptors.xml
Date Wed, 04 Aug 2004 19:19:51 GMT
Bill Barker wrote:

>"Remy Maucherat" <remm@apache.org> wrote in message
>

>>billbarker@apache.org wrote:
>>

>>>billbarker    2004/08/03 23:48:07
>>>
>>> Modified:    catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/startup
>>>                       HostConfig.java mbeans-descriptors.xml
>>> Log:
>>> Adding methods for JMX managed Contexts.
>>>
>>> -- Adding method to get the configBase via JMX
>>> -- Adding methods to add and remove apps with minimal dependancy
>>>

>checks.  This is for use with JMX apps (like the admin) that control the
>Context themselves.
>

>>I don't quite see how this is any different from check(String name).
>>

>Well, for 'add', there isn't necessarily any context.xml file, and there
>isn't necessarily any relationship between the Context path and docBase.
>For 'remove', the remove is unconditional and doesn't require touching
>resources that may have never existed.
>
>One alternative would be to have the admin webapp alway create context.xml
>for the "Create Context" action, and delete it for the "Remove Context"
>action.  However, this creates way more problems then it will ever solve (at
>least with the config as it is now).

Yes, why not.

To be perfectly honest, I envisioned that these manager/admin/etc would
indeed create the needed context.xml file (or the folder or war in the
docBase; you get the idea). The most important thing is that all
deployment operations are fully handled by one component (otherwise, we
fall back in the previous situation where the auto deployer doesn't talk
to the deployer, which doesn't know about the manager webapp). The new
methods don't change this, so it's not a problem.

Rémy