tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-connectors/ajp/proxy mod_proxy.h
Date Wed, 04 Aug 2004 14:10:47 GMT
Mladen Turk wrote:

> The removed proxyhost and port are from new hook 'pre_request' that is used
> to obtain a valid worker and/or balancer for a scheme.
> It has nothing to do with the way the connection is going to be made.

Cool, this makes sense.

> The load balancer if present will decide to which route (worker) the
> connection is going to be made or return HTTP_SERVER_BUSY, if no further
> connection to the cluster can be made.
> If there is no load balancer or it returns DECLINED then the worker will be
> pulled out from the created set of workers during ProxyPass initialization.
> I've changed ProxyPass from TAKE12 to RAW_ARGS, so that you can directly
> initialize connection pool without load balancer (if not required for
> example).

Cool.

> The way that the worker connects to backend depends on scheme handler itself
> (direct or via proxy).
> The worker connection itself will be either bound to the client connection
> (http) or to a backend connection (ajp), and that is also set in scheme
> handler.
> I have to figure out how to effectively skip that for ftp scheme handler.

Ideally all three (http, ajp and ftp) should work the same way using a
pool: The http method of only reusing the connection if the client
reuses the connection is a bit bogus, there really should be a pool.

Ftp is the same - there should be a pool of ftp connections. In the case
of ftp, all it needs to do is logout completely but keep the connection
open, or - for extra points teaching the pool that some connections
require login (like ftp) and to reuse connections wheree the login
details match might also be an idea.

Ajp supports a pool anyway.

Making all three the same - ie all three come from a pool would solve
this problem I think. The timeout characteristics on each protocol would
be different (I would imagine that ajp would have a long lived
connection, while http connections would be constrained by the timeout
on HTTP keepalives on backend servers) but this is details.

Regards,
Graham