tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Invitation to HTTPD commiters in tomcat-dev
Date Tue, 20 Jul 2004 15:54:24 GMT
Henri Gomez wrote:

> Graham Leggett wrote:
>
>> Henri Gomez wrote:
>>
>>> It's now time to refactor and redesign it with Apache 2.x (APR/AP) in
>>> mind to follow Apache 2.x admins habbits and try to make something
>>> simpler.
>>>
>>> We came on httpd-dev for advice from experts, and may be an
>>> extended mod_proxy could be the solution. But we also want to keep
>>> the AJP/1.3 and AJP/1.4 protocols since it works well and so a pure
>>> HTTP proxy is only part of the game.
>>

>> I think any module that speaks ajp/1.X should be called mod_ajp, keeps
>> things simple and clean.
>

> We agree and I wonder if a mod_ajp could be used in conjunction with
> mod_proxy ? A sort of alternative way to route requests to tomcat.

Or maybe just a channel for passing config data ( but leave request
passing to mod_proxy ) ?

I.e. the only thing that will remain in mod_ajp will be the autoconf and
    monitoring.

>>> - Could mod_proxy be open to support AJP/1.x as tomcat connections ?
>>

>> I don't think mod_proxy should support ajp, rather a dedicated ajp
>> module should.
>

> We agree.
>
>> But I'm still not convinced a separate protocol is needed when HTTP
>> exists and is supported already.
>>
>> The "httpd serves the static content" feature can be implemented
>> through extending ProxyPass to support regular expressions, for example:
>>
>> ProxyPass /myWebapp/*.jsp http://tomcat/myWebapp/
>>
>> I'm not sure if persistent connections over and above HTTP/1.1
>> keepalives is that useful.
>

> Well let see my suggestion :
>

> ProxyPass /myWebapp/*.jsp ajp://myajpworker/
>
> myajpworker is not a machine but a virtual resource which could be :
>
> - a physical Tomcat using its AJP/1.3 connector
>
> - a cluster of physical Tomcats using their AJP/1.3 connector

Can we simplify this ?

Let's drop the word "worker" too :-)

The request is passed to a servlet container that may consist of one or
multiple instances.

Costin