tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Invitation to HTTPD commiters in tomcat-dev
Date Tue, 20 Jul 2004 15:11:46 GMT
Graham Leggett wrote:

> In all my deployments of tomcat I have never seen the point of a custom
> protocol that did exactly what HTTP does, so all my tomcat deployments
> are all HTTP, with a simple mod_proxy frontend.
>
> Even the "get Apache to server static content" feature wasn't enough of
> a drawcard, as proper HTTP cache handling and a suitable cache solved
> this problem. It was far more important for me to arrange the web
> application as a self contained unit - I would rather be more tidy with
> an install at the expense of a slightly higher load, than sacrifice a
> clean install to save some cycles.

There is a bit more - we want to be able to have Apache authenticate and
pass this info to tomcat for example. I don't know if this can be done
with mod_proxy ( maybe have it add an extra header - but that may have
security problems ).

>> And in fine, we like to have some JMX like functionnalities in Apache 2,
>> in our case MX for C Management Extension, a way to update Apache 2.x
>> configuration while the server is running...
>

> This is possibly a whole separate project in itself.
>
> I have been meaning to work on a get-apache-config-out-of-ldap extension
> for a while, what it really should be is "get apache config out of
> wherever", but this should be an Apache wide thing, not limited to a
> single module or technology.

The actual problem is how to push config changes without restarting the
server. Some changes obviously require restart, but chaning mappings for
example should be dynamic.

In MPM multithreaded mode some modules may cache session information -
frequent restarts are going to be more difficult than with single
threaded server.

Costin