tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Some JK2 ideas v.3
Date Tue, 20 Jul 2004 04:09:04 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:

>> Monitoring and controlling the native code from java is IMO quite
>> usefull and important by itself. Even Apache supports limited
>> monitoring ( SNMP, mod_status, etc ).
>

> Ok. We'll see if I'm more convinced when you show your code ;) For now,
> I'm siding with Henri and his proposed solution.

Which proposed solution ? To drop "dynamic monitoring and
reconfiguration" from requirements ?

So far I haven't even seen a final list of requirements for this new
connector, and no design. We only have some ideas - most of them mapping
to the drop of some requirements ( which is fine ). It is also clear we
don't have any clear decision on how to solve the conflicting
requirements. Henri is talking about some "discovery" requirement, and
some other people talked about "discovery" for the cluster - how does
this interact with the other requirement of "use httpd.conf and play
nice with other modules" ?

Regarding "show me code" - I don't have to write a complex pice of code
to prove my point. KDE DCOP ( and to a lesser extent, Gnome ) are good
example of components that allow control from outside. We don't need
something as complex ( well, dcop is not very complex, only the
qt-depenent dispatching ).

I can understand the jk2 "object oriented C" is considered too complex.
But I certainly can't agree on a design that is not modular and doesn't
support this basic requirement. We already have mod_jserv and mod_webapp
  - and a long history of "rewrite from scratch to make it simpler"
turning into far more complex code.

Seriously - if you take away the JMX and support for other servers - why
not just use mod_jserv ? After all mod_jk and jk2 got complex because of
additional requirements and features that we wanted to implement - if we
drop them then we can just go back and use mod_jserv.

In any case - I haven't been very active lately, and my current interest
is on the java side, so I can't vote -1. But it would really be bad if
this will start without even having an agreed list of requirements, and
a design that is based on the requirements and takes into account the
future ( "simple" is a nice word, but if it is not based on a sound
design it's just a matter of time until it becomes unmaintainable
complex ).

Costin