tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Some JK2 ideas v.3
Date Mon, 19 Jul 2004 19:37:09 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> I think you're mixing the Java side with the native side. I think the
> Java side should obviously use JMX to monitor what's going on with
> Tomcat. However, the native side will just recieve proprietary messages.
> We have to keep the native side as small and simple as possible to get
> into the HTTPD codebase.

No, I'm only talking about the C side. Let's call it C-JMX.

Instead of yet-another "small and simple" connector that grows out of
control, it may be better to learn a lesson from java and apply it in C.
Jk and Jk2 ( and mod_jserv ) all started "small and simple", then got
more and more features and fixes.

If we start with "just add custom proprietary messages for every feature
we want to implement" - the code will soon become very complex. Most of
the messages are not in the critical path, so using a JMX model of
get/set/event is reasonable.

Monitoring and controlling the native code from java is IMO quite
usefull and important by itself. Even Apache supports limited monitoring
( SNMP, mod_status, etc ).

Costin