tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Some JK2 ideas v.2
Date Mon, 19 Jul 2004 14:59:01 GMT
Mladen Turk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> All (except Costin) developers has to say something, so my conclusion is
> that we are not dead after all ;)

I'm alive as well, and I have something to say - I spent last few
weekends playing with coyote and tomcat, probably in few weeks I'll have
something working and I'll get back.

> Seems that the major obstacle is the configuration, so I propose that we
> forget that for a while, and make a
> 'generalized' environment that will sattisfy all the 'needs'.
> That environment could be called APR_JAVA and it will be resposible for
> os->java communication, having AJPXX, and 'JNI' as one of the possible
> protocol stacks.

> It will have a generic mapping mechanism (pcre enabled) for registering URI
> mapings, setting communication properties, so that one could make a suport
> from any container (webserver).

URI mapping is already duplicated in the web server and catalina, please
not a third mapper :-)

> It will abstract the container<->java communication to the level of
> 'directory and file' so that one can open a connection to TC like opening a
> file, or simply speaking a 'Virtual File System', so that one can either
> 'mount' a volume like '/servlets' or a file filter like '*.jsp'

Depends on what you want :-). Request forwarding from server and tomcat
works reasonably well, it's the other stuff that is hard, and it doesn't
map so well to "VFS" model ( auth, conf, etc ).

Costin