tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Luehe <Jan.Lu...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-connectors/coyote/src/java/org/apache/coyote Response.java
Date Wed, 28 Jul 2004 18:28:49 GMT
Remy,

Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Jan Luehe wrote:
>
>> Bill,
>>
>>> then I'd suggest simply
>>> doing:
>>>    setCharacterEncoding(getCharacterEncoding());
>>> in Response.getWriter (since the spec only requires that we identify the
>>> charset when using a Writer, and we don't really know what it is when
>>> using
>>> OutputStream).
>>

>> The problem with this is that if you call getWriter() (with your
>> proposed fix) followed by getContentType(), the returned content type
>> will include a charset, which is against the spec of getContentType():
>>
>>   * If no character encoding has been specified, the
>>   * charset parameter is omitted.
>>
>> This is why we need to append the default charset to the value of the
>> Content-Type header, if no char encoding has been specified.
>

> This is not acceptable, and is not an option, so you shouldn't be using
> "we need", because we won't ;)

This is why I said "we need" instead of "we will". ;-)

I agreed with Bill's proposed solution in principle (include charset
only when using writer), but pointed out that his proposed patch
would break ServletResponse.getContentType(), which is why I said that
if we were to include the default charset (if no charset was specified
and if a writer was being used), we'd have to do it at the time of
generating the header.

I'll reply to your other mail shortly.

Jan