tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Re: Some benchs results : WAS: Invitation to HTTPD commiters in tomcat-dev]
Date Wed, 28 Jul 2004 16:55:44 GMT
Filip Hanik - Dev wrote:

>The Java VM does this through file handling, we would have to find out where it issues
this call and if we can get around it. The
>Tomcat developers are not calling stat anywhere in the code, but the underlying JVM code
does, we just don't know where

Ok. Well, I think there's no such thing, as the test was about a
servlet. There's also a cache, so it won't go to the HD too often, but
of course, I don't know how it really works. Also something to remember
is that the HelloWorld example servlet is a very bad throughtput test:
it has a very expensive i18n operation (it retrieves a resource bundle
on each request), which Apache doesn't do. So it would be better to
either test with a static file, or write a new servlet with the same
output (minus i18n).

It would be good to test with HEAD (the test was done with 3.3) to see
if the stat issue occurs.

Rémy