tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From David Rees <dr...@greenhydrant.com>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Re: Some benchs results : WAS: Invitation to HTTPD commiters in tomcat-dev]
Date Wed, 28 Jul 2004 16:08:39 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote, On 7/28/2004 7:54 AM:

>> One thing I noticed when looking at Tomcat 5.0.x is that its default,
>> static-file-delivering servlet does a stat(2) of each path prefix leading
>> up to the file.  A standard installation of Apache 2.x, with
>> FollowSymlinks
>> enabled, doesn't do these stat calls, for obvious performance reasons.
>>
>> Is the stat'ing of all the directories leading up to the requested file
>> in Tomcat intentional (it *is* valuable in some environments for
>> security purposes), or is it just a side-effect of the implementation?
>
> I really have no idea what this stuff means.

stat is a Unix system call which retrives the status information of a
file or directory.

Each stat call can potentially hit the disk, so this can be a very
expensive system call to make if you have deep directory trees and could
explain some of the performance differences between Apache and Tomcat.

-Dave