tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-connectors/http11/src/java/org/apache/coyote/http11 Http11Processor.java
Date Wed, 28 Jul 2004 09:59:14 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> Cool. So after all the efforts I'm doing to optimize, you casually add
> GC, because the servlet API is completely stupid ?
> So -1 for your patch: you need to rework it. I also didn't read all
> that funny stuff in the specification, so where does it come from ? ;)

I thought about it some more, and in addition to the performance
problem, it would lead to adding charset even for binaries. We already
found out that this way very bad (in addition to being meaningless, it
breaks some clients such as Acrobat which simply does a check on the
MIME type without removing the charset, which is rather logical since
they're dealing with binaries) - this was some unintended behavior in
some 4.1.x release (if I remember well, it was introduced by you
already: you do like charset related issues ;) ).
So what I suggest is that you send that you send that as feedback to the
servlet API, and that they put a small errata for the specification.
-1 for implementing the requirements of the specificatrion (although I
can't find them anywhere ;) ) to the letter right now, as they are
broken (I didn't dislike the previous behavior, so I want it to remain).

Rémy