tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Gomez <hgo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Invitation to HTTPD commiters in tomcat-dev
Date Tue, 20 Jul 2004 12:11:49 GMT
Nick Kew wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Jul 2004, Henri Gomez wrote:
>
> [ chopped tomcat-dev because that bounces my mail ]
>

>>>As a startingpoint, how about telling us what tomcat needs that
>>>mod_proxy and friends don't provide?
>>
>>In mod_jk/jk2, there is support for load-balancing and fault-tolerance
>>and it's a key feature.
>

> Good start.
>
> I'm guessing you're ahead of me here, and your reason for posting to
> dev@httpd is that you can see that implementing these capabilities
> will be of general interest to more than just tomcat users?

Back to tomcat-dev + httpd-dev.

Well this kind of features will be usefull for more than just
Tomcat users of course.

Our main interest in inviting httpd-dev members to tomcat-dev list
is to see if common interest could be shared and of course take
recommandations for the jk/jk2 successor.

> My gut feeling would be to keep this properly modular.  Let mod_proxy
> be the core of it, and implement load-balancing and fault-tolerance
> in additional modules.  As a matter of fact, one of my wishlist-projects
> is a connection-pooling module for backend HTTP connections in a proxy.
> That might actually be the same as your project.

And what about using AJP/1.3 instead of HTTP for connection to tomcat ?)

In fact mod_proxy could be a good starting point for learning how
relying request from Apache 2.x to Tomcat for what we called
actually mod_ajp, to avoid confusion with jk/jk2.

But :

- If you add load-balancing/fault-tolerance and AJP 1.3 support in
   mod_proxy you'll have about 99% of the current functionalities of
   jk 1.2.x.

We discussed also the need for some dynamic mapping and topology
discovery/update (between Apache and Tomcats Clusters).

And in fine, we like to have some JMX like functionnalities in Apache 2,
in our case CMX for C Management Extension, a way to update Apache 2.x
configuration while the server is running...