tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: Some JK2 ideas
Date Mon, 19 Jul 2004 16:31:24 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:

> Jess Holle wrote:
>
>> Andy Armstrong wrote:
>>
>>> Jess Holle > Getting the IIS connectors to work with IIS 6 appears
>>> to be rocket

>>> Heh. Having spent two days getting the filter to work on IIS I'm
>>> thinking about starting to sell a consultancy service based on
>>> getting JK2 working. I actually wrote, debugged, documented and
>>> delivered a non trivial ISAPI filter for a different project in less
>>> time than it took me to get JK2 working.
>>
>> This is the JK, nor JK2, based connector in my case, but:
>>
>>   1. There are documented missing configuration steps out on the web
>>      for IIS 6 that should be verified and placed in the Tomcat isapi
>>      documentation.
>>   2. Any hint as to what to do other than start over again and hope for
>>      better luck would be great appreciated.  [I used the
>>      'isapi_install.vbs' script in hopes of having fewer error-prone
>>      manual steps.  Was that a bad idea?]
>>
>> I'd have kept this off the 'dev' group, but item (1) is quite glaring
>> at this point in that there are many reports that one cannot use the
>> Tomcat connectors with IIS 6 without extra configuration steps beyond
>> what the Tomcat docs provide.
>
> Maybe the best response to this would be to update the docs and say
> "tomcat IIS 6 is not supported, plese contact microsoft and ask them
> to do it". They have plenty of developers and money - they could send
> a check to Andy and Henri, or do it themself :-)

I'm quite certain that they're ecstatic that it is problematic to make
these things work together.

Personally, I despise IIS.

However, when customers insist on using IIS for all HTTP(S) traffic and
your product relies on a servlet engine, what are you supposed to do?

Do quality commercial offering exist that integrate with IIS *well*?
JRun is completely untenable.  Most of the big guys have their own web
server, app server, etc, etc, to push -- causing still more problems.
Moreover, we don't want still more engines to test everything with....

> It's better then having people struggle with mod_jk config and feeling
> it's tomcat developer's job to support IIS.

In a way I agree, Microsoft is happily creating an unworkable environment.

Unfortunately, either Java as a whole backs out of this arena or it
fights for it.  If Tomcat backs out, then it seems unlikely that many
using IIS will even bother trying Java servlets and/or JSP pages (as
they'll have no free way to do so).

--
Jess Holle