tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: Some JK2 ideas
Date Wed, 14 Jul 2004 20:47:59 GMT
Mladen Turk wrote:

> [...]
It does if you use JkUriSet.  I have a separate (auto-generated) .conf
file for every web app containing mod_jk, jk2, etc, etc, configuration
and another auto-generated .conf file for each web app (included by the
first) containing any/all Apache-side authentication configuration for
the web app.

I can have (and auto-generate) more files per web app, but I (and others
I know) won't move to anything that regresses from this level of modularity.

>>Using a modular multi-XML-file approach does not pollute the
>>result with any additional server-specific or Tomcat-specific
>>baggage.  It just makes management and automated
>>configuration/installation much more workable.
>>

>In contrary, it makes it simpler, cause you have a common denominator, and
>that is 'well documented' config file, usable on any container.

What I'm saying here is that I want modular per-web-app config-file
support.  I don't care if any/all server-specific and Tomcat-specific
stuff is removed from them -- actually that is laudable in the long term
even if a bit painful in the short term.  I just don't want to be forced
into shoving the whole configuration into a single file (or using XML
entity reference hacks which are beyond ugly -- and require the main
file to be modified to add extra entity references which is highly
undesirable).

>JkUriSet can be used only on the Apache server.
>So, the question is, are we adapting the apache module to other servers, or
>we have a
>container independent module.

I think you are missing my point:

    Go ahead and remove JkUriSet, just add equivalent functionality to
    do per-web-app configuration files.  Just do it in a
    server-independent, XML-based way this time around.

>If you wish to have a few virtual hosts, you will need to apply two
>completely different
>configurations for each side anyhow (httpd.conf or click-clik and
>server.xml).
>Having specific directives for each container makes that even more
>complicated thought.

I'm just looking for things like:

    * Web app X:
          o jk-mount /x/*, /y/*, and *.jsp
          o map these all to worker X
    * Web app Y
          o jk-mount /m/* and *.jsp
          o map these all to worker Y

    ....and so on....

With the information above (and any other things which are justifiably
per-web-app *and* per-web-app support already exists for) be specifiable
in separate files, one for Web app X, one for Web app Y, and so on.

--
Jess Holle