tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: Some JK2 ideas
Date Wed, 14 Jul 2004 18:07:33 GMT
Mladen Turk wrote:

>>From: Jess Holle
>>

>>I can see eliminating all web-server-specific configuration
>>options in the long-term -- though keeping the existing
>>options around for a while as deprecated alternatives would
>>be nice, i.e. to give everyone a conversion grace period.
>>

>Well, you have a JK or that.

Point taken.

>>I cannot, however, see pushing everything into a single XML
>>file.  This is insufficiently modular for a web server that
>>may have dozens of web apps with their own specific settings.
>> Rather what I'd suggest is something like:
>>

>Did you try to set up the JK2 on some other server then Apache?

No, though on this basis I can understand and concur with your general
idea.  I just firmly believe forcing an entire server's jk2
configuration including all web-apps' configurations into a single XML
file lacks sufficient modularity.

>Did you try to use your server.xml from TC on other platforms?

Huh?  server.xml is Tomcat-specific -- as are the <Context> elements.
That's like saying "did you ever try to use mod_jk2 config files with JRun".

Now if what you mean is have I tried it with Tomcat on various OS and
web server platforms, then the answer is, yes.

Until Tomcat allowed <Context> elements to be placed outside its
server.xml into separate, per-web-app files, configuring (non-WAR) web
apps led to ugly to a merging and general maintenance issue with
server.xml.  Once per-web-app XML config files were allowed things
became 1000 times more manageable from a tooling and maintenance
perspective.

[Now if your question is shouldn't everything be done via WAR files,
then you're one of the lucky few for whom unexpanded WAR files actually
fulfill your requirements.]

>Having things Apache specific AFAICT was the major reason why so many
>project has failed.

Nothing about modular XML files should be Apache specific.  I'm just
suggesting we learn from Tomcat's experiences and not require every
web-app's configuration be merged into a single XML file.  It was not
workable there and it won't be here.

--
Jess Holle