tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [5.next] Progress
Date Wed, 07 Jul 2004 16:52:49 GMT
Jess Holle wrote:
> In my case even with 1.5 I need a pluggable (2) from above.  Why?
> Because I need to work with port ranges and grab the first free port
> (with MBeans then proxied to a daemon with a consistent port #).  1.5
> has no automatic machinery for this as best I can tell.
>
> It's true that (1) is simple getPlatformMbeanServer() [or whatever it is
> called again] in 1.5, but I believe it should be light and easy enough
> to stick something else under the covers here.

I'm tired of interfaces, so I have to say I'm against this, especially
for a specific purpose (I would tend to believe you can configure lots
of stuff with JDK 1.5, though). You should simply use your own server
listener (I think server lifecycle listeners are here to stay).

> Cool.  As I said though, I've got my own processes to instrument first.
> I'd just like to see Tomcat progress in a similar fashion so that one
> monitor Tomcat in the same fashion sooner rather than later.

Regardless on how the JMX connector is configured on the server side, it
will work the same from the client's perspective.

Rémy