tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: [5.next] Progress
Date Wed, 07 Jul 2004 16:17:15 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> Jess Holle wrote:
>
>> I'll play with this as I have time, but I'll be doing the same sort
>> of thing with our own app first.
>>
>> As I see it (and I could be offbase, of course, as I've not had time
>> to code this), one just needs a pluggable SPI sort of interface
>> responsible for:
>>
>>   1. A singleton get-or-create MBeanServer method
>>          * Default to platform MBeanServer in 1.5, but allow use of
>>            mx4j or the like
>>   2. An export MBeanServer for remote ops method
>>          * Details, e.g. protocols, ports / port ranges, etc, to be
>>            controlled by XML tags, of course
>>
>> Am I over-simplifying this?
>

> It's the exact opposite. With JDK 1.5, we need no pluggable something,
> no nothing. So this is why I really want to do that instead of
> bothering with more dead code.

In my case even with 1.5 I need a pluggable (2) from above.  Why?
Because I need to work with port ranges and grab the first free port
(with MBeans then proxied to a daemon with a consistent port #).  1.5
has no automatic machinery for this as best I can tell.

It's true that (1) is simple getPlatformMbeanServer() [or whatever it is
called again] in 1.5, but I believe it should be light and easy enough
to stick something else under the covers here.

> I'm ok with a special "JDK 1.4" package full of optional components
> being put together (assuming none of the new syntax gets used, of
> course), which could contain your listener and other JARs (like Xerces).

Cool.  As I said though, I've got my own processes to instrument first.
I'd just like to see Tomcat progress in a similar fashion so that one
monitor Tomcat in the same fashion sooner rather than later.

--
Jess Holle