tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: [5.next] Progress
Date Wed, 07 Jul 2004 14:53:57 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> Jess Holle wrote:
>
>> Though I also really like Java 5's [yep, another neat numbering
>> change from Sun :-)] built-MBeans for JVM monitoring, I'd *really*
>> like to see a JSR 160 solution in Tomcat that works in Java 1.4.x and
>> Java 1.5 (aka 5).
>>
>> Is this the plan/hope?  At a high level it does not look too nasty to
>> do this....
>

> Unfortunately, I'm against useless code in this branch. JSR 160 being
> brand new, you're going to need new software pretty much everywhere,
> but of course upgrading the JDK is not an option. Given the new branch
> changes the API rather significantly, I think it's not going to be a
> release people will be upgrading to.
>
> If it still doesn't make sense, then you can probably manage to cut &
> paste a few lines of code from the JMX docs, right ? ;) sin

I'll play with this as I have time, but I'll be doing the same sort of
thing with our own app first.

As I see it (and I could be offbase, of course, as I've not had time to
code this), one just needs a pluggable SPI sort of interface responsible
for:

   1. A singleton get-or-create MBeanServer method
          * Default to platform MBeanServer in 1.5, but allow use of
            mx4j or the like
   2. An export MBeanServer for remote ops method
          * Details, e.g. protocols, ports / port ranges, etc, to be
            controlled by XML tags, of course

Am I over-simplifying this?

--
Jess Holle