tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Filip Hanik - Dev" <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Re: Some benchs results : WAS: Invitation to HTTPD commiters in tomcat-dev]
Date Wed, 28 Jul 2004 16:13:49 GMT
The Java VM does this through file handling, we would have to find out where it issues this
call and if we can get around it. The
Tomcat developers are not calling stat anywhere in the code, but the underlying JVM code does,
we just don't know where

Filip

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Rees" <drees@greenhydrant.com>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 11:08 AM
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: Some benchs results : WAS: Invitation to HTTPD commiters in tomcat-dev]

Remy Maucherat wrote, On 7/28/2004 7:54 AM:

>> One thing I noticed when looking at Tomcat 5.0.x is that its default,
>> static-file-delivering servlet does a stat(2) of each path prefix leading
>> up to the file.  A standard installation of Apache 2.x, with
>> FollowSymlinks
>> enabled, doesn't do these stat calls, for obvious performance reasons.
>>
>> Is the stat'ing of all the directories leading up to the requested file
>> in Tomcat intentional (it *is* valuable in some environments for
>> security purposes), or is it just a side-effect of the implementation?
>
> I really have no idea what this stuff means.

stat is a Unix system call which retrives the status information of a
file or directory.

Each stat call can potentially hit the disk, so this can be a very
expensive system call to make if you have deep directory trees and could
explain some of the performance differences between Apache and Tomcat.

-Dave