tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: getReader() BUG in tomcat 4.1.30 and beyond ?
Date Sat, 24 Jul 2004 20:36:21 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "j.random.programmer" <javadesigner@yahoo.com>
To: <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Cc: <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Saturday, July 24, 2004 12:31 PM
Subject: RE: getReader() BUG in tomcat 4.1.30 and beyond ?

> >"Yoav Shapira" wrote thusly:
> >I saw your message on tomcat-user.  Several other
> >Tomcat developers also follow that list.  I
> personally
> >looking at the stack trace chose to discard your
> >message for a few reasons:
>
> You reply is retarded; more signifantly you are not
> and
> have never been a core developer ON THE JSP CODE.
> What you choose to do is irrelevant.
>
> The bug is very real.
>
> That my twice posted message (on both dev and user)
> got
> no response from core developers is frightening.

Ok, a response from a core (connector) developer:
I tested your report on TC 5 and the JKCoyote connector, and it works
perfectly.  Since what I choose to do is also irrelevant (and I wouldn't
have it any other way :), I'm choosing not to look into it further.
However, if you see this problem on 3.3.2, I'd be more than happy to look at
it again ;-).

> >- The AJP connector in the stack trace indicates
> Apache
> >in front of Tomcat, making Apache and the AJP
> connector
> >possible culprits.  Unless you reproduce this with
> >Tomcat standalone, I'm not convinced.
>
> A simple servlet using the same setup does not display
> the bug. I can getInputStream() OR getReader() from a
> servlet's doPost method and print out the entire
> POST'ed body. The bug only happens for JSP's in
> tomcat 4.1.30 and beyond.
>
> >- The fact it's 4.1.30, which is a mature branch
> that's
> >been in the market for a while, and if what you're
> >reporting is really true we would have heard about it
> >via bug reports a long time ago.
>
> 'tis better to remain silent and appear a fool than to
> speak and remove all doubt ... (and your above
> statement removes all doubt).
>
> >- Also being on a 4.x release, I'm not as interested,
> >because only 5.x is being actively developed.  If you
> >reported this error on 5.0.27 standalone tomcat I
> >suspect you would have gotten replies on the tomcat-
> >user list from me and others.
>
> Don't matter if "you" are interested or not. The bug
> is
> real and needs to be fixed by the core developers for
> the hundreds of thousands of people who are using the
> stable 4.1.x branch today.

Patches are alway welcome ;-).