tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject [5.next] Progress
Date Tue, 29 Jun 2004 00:03:26 GMT
My upcoming change list:
- Attempt to redo a bit the deployer:
   * remove the CL code which is there to avoid JAR locking (or at least
allow disabling this feature for non-Windows OSes); when enabling anti
locking
code, move everything to a temp "deploy" folder where everything will be
referenced from; controlled by a "development" flag on the Context to allow
disabling this on Windows
   * move processing of context.xml to StandardContext (at the expense of
being able to specify the context class, which will move to an attribute
on the Host), as I realize it is important to get context level
configurability without adding too much complexity in the embedding
application; this could also go in ContextConfig, but this should be done in
another event (START occurs too late)
- Use the webapp CL as the main CL (without the locking tricks it is likely
faster than the regular CL)
- Default servlet refactoring and optimization (avoid ResourceInfo
class, MIME mapping matching)
- Resolve DBCP -> Pool -> Collections dependency which exposes too many
JARs in the common classloader (using package renaming and some repackaging)
- Externalize configuration saving out of StandardServer
- Remove anything useless (spring cleaning time), such as configuration
options, container listeners (to be replaced with JMX notifications where
it matters), etc
- BASIC auth optimization
- clutering module refactoring, to extend the regular Catalina objects, for
easier future maintenance
- Possibly require JDK 1.5 (cleaner code, annotations, integrated JMX
and JMX
remote, etc)
- And the ongoing: allow all config/management/embedding through JMX;
note: I think this is almost there already (thanks Costin), so only a
little tweaking will likely be needed

So there are still a number of big changes waiting to be implemented,
and these should have a bigger impact than my initial changes. I'll do
the deployer and classloader changes first, which is the biggest chunk.

When I'm done with the "remove anything useless" item, I'll propose a
release plan. Any items to the list (anyone proposing something must be
willing to timely implement what he's proposing, I'm not running a wish
list ;) ) ?

Rémy