tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jeanfrancois Arcand <jfarc...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Time for 5.0.26?
Date Tue, 01 Jun 2004 14:07:27 GMT

Remy Maucherat wrote:

> Filip Hanik (lists) wrote:
>
>>> BTW, is it ok if I start my refatoring(s) in a separate branch based on
>>

>> go ahead, refator. :-)
>

> I'll "refator" then.
>
> I'll redo logging as well, and define c-l categories (for webapps, for
> example) to be able to eventually remove Logger altogether.
> Other things:
> - attempt to redo a bit the deployer to be able to remove the CL code
> which is there to avoid JAR locking (and then use the optimized CL for
> the whole container); this is for faster startup
> - switch to something other than digester to remove some commons deps
> (?) (I'm thinking about beanutils and collections); if we don't do
> that, I think we should do package renaming on these utilities to
> lower the likelihood of a user being locked into a specific release

I think renaming the classes, like they did for Xerces in j2se 1.5,
would be the easiest way. But since we are "refactoring", we can also
think of a pluggable SPI were the digester can be "plugged", as well as
our own parsing mechanism. That would be usefull when Tomcat is embedded
and it's container already have a parsing mechanism, as well as allowing
people to develop their own parsing mechanism on top of Xerces (or avoid
Xerces).

-- Jeanfrancois